When it comes to loving furry friends, one of the most important considerations is how and when the little buddy (or buddies) will do their business. In our typical schedules, we tend to be busy. And although working-from-home has taken a positive and more present turn, the reality is that you won’t always be available to let your dog out to the bathroom when the time comes.
So, having an all-weather dog door solution is a must. This is why we love our friends at PetSafe for providing the perfect solution: The Extreme Weather Aluminum Pet Door™.
What Makes A Good Dog Door?
If you’re in the market for a dog door, the first thing you have to do is consider your space: the limitations and the physical aspects (aka where, exactly, the door will go). If you’re renting your home, for example, your options may be restricted based on what’s feasible or allowable per your landlord. While you can’t necessarily cut into a door you don’t own, you can opt to install something into a door you purchase (or create a more feasible workaround).
Once you’ve determined the options in your space, it’s time to find what’s best for you and your pet. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Materials & Durability: What is the dog door made? Is this durable? Will the exterior withstand constant pushing in and out, larger-size pups, or any extreme weather conditions?
- Size: You’ll want to make sure that the inside part of the dog door will fit your pet. If the door is too small, your dog won’t feel comfortable and will be resistant to even using it.
- Company Crediblity: As you’re looking for the right dog door, browse different company websites, reviews, and products to make sure you’re investing in a brand that’s credible, reliable, and backs their products.
*[PetSafe not only has the credibility of being a prominent company in pet products for years but they also have great customer service! So, rest assured that if you run into any problems they can help you troubleshoot.]
Dog Door Features To Consider
Every dog door functions the same, but what makes one stand out in comparison to another are a few important features:
- Construction: Look for a dog door that’s insulated because this will prevent cold or warm weather from leaking into your home… which will keep your energy bill low in the long run!
- Weather-focused materials: Regardless of where you live, you’re going to face extreme weather conditions. Look for a dog door that is made with materials that will withstand strong winds or material that is rain/water repellant. You may also want to think about the insulation/how many layers there are or if there’s a way to fully ‘shut’ the door during storms or times when going outside isn’t even an option.
- DIY Installation: No one likes purchasing a product that’s too complicated to install themselves! Look for the website explanation of the installation process and consider whether you’ll be able to do this on your own or hire some help. The easier the better!
- Weight: You want a door that’s strong… but not too heavy that your dog can’t push it open! As you browse, consider the weight of different parts and be sure that it’s not too bulky before attempting to install.
Why PetSafe’s Dog Door?
We’re big fans of PetSafe’s Extreme Weather Aluminum Pet Door™ because it’s incredibly practical, affordable, and provides an all-weather solution that— with two big dogs—just works!
Here are some specific reasons we love this door:
- Weather Features: The 3-layer insulation blocks 3x more thermal energy than regular pet doors, keeping cold and warm air out (depending on the season).
- Durability: The door comes with a durable metal frame and reinforced corners for extra protection. Plus, it has a magnetic seal to ‘lock’ when not in use.
- Size: The door comes in varying sizes—M to XL—fitting dogs 40-220 lbs!
- DIY-Forward: Install is a breeze, as long as you have a door!
Ready To Purchase?
Love the Extreme Weather Aluminum Pet Door™ as much as we do?! The links below point to two places where you can purchase the door for your furry friends! Remember that there are a few sizes (M-XL), so get the one that makes the most sense for you.
- PETSAFE: bit.ly/ExtremeWeatherDoor
- AMAZON: amzn.to/3vgeBOb
Other Furry Friend Essentials:
Having a high-quality doggy door is so important, whether you’re working from home or not! However, transitions can be tough on dogs. Even if you’ve had a dog door in the past, your pup may need to take a little time to effectively learn how (and when!) to use the new door.
Be patient with your dog (especially if he/she is new to potty training in general!). While you get settled, here are a few other great products you may need:
- Training Treats: Rewarding good behavior is a positive reinforcement that can help your dog know what to do (even when you’re not around!). These training treats are made with natural ingredients—banana, chicken, and peanut butter—and are a great way to encourage good potty behavior.
- Recordable Buttons: These recordable training buttons can help your dog associate words with actions. For example, you can record ‘go outside’ and press it when your dog expresses that he/she needs to use the bathroom. In time, you can help him/her make an association with the words ‘go outside’ and using the bathroom outside.
- Training Pads: Accidents happen! If you’re in the early training stages (and especially before your dog door gets installed!), these high-absorbancy training pads can help your dog know where to go.
- Attractant Spray: Knowing where to go is half the battle with pups! This attractant spray can help your dog associate a smell with the location he/she should go to the bathroom (inside or outside).
- PetSafe’s Extreme Weather Aluminum Pet Door™: And, of course, don’t forget about PetSafe’s dog door! If you haven’t clicked the link above, you can find eveyrthing you need on PetSafe’s website or on Amazon!
For other products we love, head to our Instagram Page and stay updated with our latest pictures, adventures, and shenanigans! 🐾